The Sackville Business Association offers a Signage & Façade Improvement Program to help members invest in signage & façade renovations and storefront upgrades.
The Signage & Façade Improvement Program covers up to 50 percent of the cost of eligible renovations and sign improvements to a maximum of $5,000.*
*Contingent on funding
- The program is open to members of the Sackville Business Association, both business and commercial property owners.
- The property/business must lie within the boundaries of the Sackville Business Improvement District.
- Businesses and building owners are encouraged to work together on developing a design and submitting applications.
- If a tenant wishes to apply, written permission from the building owner is required.
- Eligible facade improvements are limited to the exterior of the front-facing or highly-visible side of the building.
- Improvements may include but are not limited to: upgrades to exterior architectural and decorative details, landscaping, painting, exterior surfaces, windows, doors, entranceways, awnings and lighting. Other improvements may be considered.
- Facade renovations should encompass all elements of the building’s facade and make a significant positive change to the appearance of the building.
- Eligible signage improvements include the cost of design, fabrication and/or installation. The types of signs that are eligible include signs mounted on buildings, canopy/awning signage, and pylon or planter box signs.
- Applicants must complete an application form and submit a drawing of the proposed work.
- Where possible, a design professional should be hired to produce an attractive rendering.
- Additional funding may be available for a façade design.
- Proposed upgrades must be approved by Halifax Regional Municipality and the necessary permits must be obtained before construction begins.
- Materials should be sourced locally, where possible.
- Construction cannot start before the reimbursement agreement is signed.
- Funding is not provided retroactively.
HOW THE PROCESS WORKS
Generally, the grant process works as follows:
Contact the Sackville Business Association for an application form.
- Submit a completed application, along with two quotes from HRM based companies for the project.
- The Project Review Committee evaluates the application.
- The applicant is notified in writing if the application has been approved, refused, or if additional information is required.
- If the project is approved, the SBA and the applicant sign a reimbursement agreement spelling out the project details, what costs will be reimbursed, and any conditions.
- Construction begins.
- The applicant supplies the SBA with proof of payment of all suppliers and contractors.
- The project is inspected by the SBA’s project manager.
- The SBA issues reimbursement for the amount specified in the agreement.
Grants are allocated on a case-by-case basis as long as funding is available. Project proposals are subject to a review of the existing building storefront and signage, must meet high-quality standards, and must reflect the spirit and intent of the program objective. Submitting an application does not guarantee a grant or a specific grant amount. The decision of the Project Review Committee is final and not subject to appeal. The applicant is responsible for ensuring the project meets HRM bylaws and obtaining the required permits.
For more information, contact Michelle Champniss at 902-252-3099 or email email@example.com