This program is only available to businesses located within the
Sackville Business Improvement District > (Click to View)
SBA members can receive up to $5,000 for landscaping improvements
The Sackville Business Association offers a Landscape Improvement Program to help members invest in commercial landscape upgrades.
The Landscape Improvement Program covers up to 50 per cent of the cost of eligible costs, to a maximum of $5,000.
- The program is open to members of the Sackville Business Association, both business and commercial property owners.*
- The property must lie within the boundaries of the Sackville Business Improvement District.
- Business and building owners are encouraged to work together on developing a project and submitting applications. If a tenant wishes to apply, written permission from the building owner is required.
* Project applications from non-profits will be considered for up to 100 per cent funding between January 1 to March 31, should there be program funding remaining.
- Eligible improvements are limited to improvements visible from the road.
- Improvements may include but are not limited to: trees, flowers, lawns, row planters, landscape design, decorative fences, flower pots, and any other landscaping elements.
- The SBA will fund the replenishment of landscaping elements only once. All other replenishments throughout the year will be at the expense of the business or commercial property owner.
- Applicants must complete an application form and submit plans of the desired landscape improvements. Where possible, a landscape design professional should be hired to produce an attractive project.
- Proposed upgrades or improvements must be approved by Halifax Regional Municipality, when necessary, and the necessary permits must be obtained before construction begins.
- Construction cannot start before the reimbursement agreement is signed. Funding is not provided retroactively.
- Approved projects applicants are required to post a “in partnership with the Sackville Business Association” sign for a period of 90 days.
Landscape Improvement Program
How the process works:
Generally, the grant process works as follows:
- Contact the Sackville Business Association for an application form.
- Contact HRM Planning to ensure the proposed upgrades or improvements will meet HRM bylaw requirements.
- Submit a completed application, along with two quotes for the project.
- The Project Review Committee evaluates the application.
- The applicant is notified in writing if the application has been approved, refused, or if additional information is required.
- If the project is approved, the SBA and the applicant sign a reimbursement agreement spelling out the project details, what costs will be reimbursed, and any conditions.
- Construction begins.
- The applicant supplies the SBA with proof of payment of all suppliers and contractors.
- Project is inspected by the SBA’s project manager.
- The SBA issues reimbursement for the amount specified in the agreement.
- Grants are allocated on a case-by-case basis as long as funding is available.
- Project proposals are subject to a review of the existing building property and landscape, must meet high quality standards, and must reflect the spirit and intent of the design guidelines.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee a grant or a specific grant amount. The decision of the Project Review Committee is final and not subject to appeal.